The National ICT Innovation and Integration Centre (NI3C) supported by the VVOB Kenya ICT Integration in Education programme was officially launched on the 10th August 2011 in a colourful ceremony officiated by the then Minister of Education, Prof. Dr. Sam Ongeri. Speaking during the launch, the Minister reiterated the usefulness of the centre as ‘it will not only provide education and training but it is also an innovative centre with the capacity to address technological gaps in education’. Professor Ongeri acknowledged the importance of ICT in education terming it as a ‘language’ that can be used to teach various subjects in the classroom. He specifically cited examples of successful use of ICT in the classroom in countries such as Rwanda, Malaysia and Singapore.
NI3C is established under the Ministry of Education as a hub for effective use of ICT in education and training. Through its work, the pedagogic-didactic aspects of ICT Integration will be demonstrated and tested before use by teachers, students, education managers and the public.
Part of its mandate is also to test and evaluate new technological ICT innovations to advise their usability and efficiency, so that educational stakeholders (schools, teachers…) can be guided on the same. This shall ensure that schools and stakeholders get only the best in terms of ICT equipment and software for education and learning.
Currently the centre has:
- A main 40 seat computer laboratory
- A 20 seat computer labs (one currently used as a model classroom for the digital literacy programme)
- A resource centre used for undertaking research and development work
- A server room.
- ICT facilities for demonstrating various aspects of ICT integration in lesson plans or content for teachers
The Centre is situated on SMASSE grounds, in Kenya Science Campus along Ngong Road, directly opposite the Junction Mall. If using public transport, take matatu number 4WD, which leaves town from KENCOM bus Stage, alight at Kenya science.
Vision, Mission & Slogan
A leading Centre in promotion and sharing of best practices and success stories in the use of modern tools in teaching, learning and management.
To collect, test and share ICT Innovations and harness emerging technologies for integration in all aspects of education.
Innovate, Create and Transform Education.
- Develop appropriate ICT educational policies, strategies, standards, guidelines and procedures
- The national helpdesk for educational institutions
- Capacity building on higher levels of ICT integration
- Incubation of ICT in education projects & innovations
- Testing and recommending educational software and digital resources
- Promote ICT innovation and Integration in learning ,Teaching and management
- Test new ICT innovations and integration ideas and experiments for advice to all stakeholders
- Research on, design, develop and promote emerging technologies on ICT integration in education
- Host the Education portal and facilitate continuous improvements in liaison Subject Moderators
- The Centre is managed by the Ministry of Education.The Head of NI3C has the responsibility of running the Centre affairs and ensures that the vision and mandate of the Centre is achieved.