Kenya has substantially invested in the integration of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in education and training. Tremendous efforts have been made in infrastructure deployment, capacity building and development of digital content towards integrating ICT in teaching, learning and management.
The ongoing curriculum reforms recognize Digital Literacy as a key competency to be acquired by learners as they undergo the education system. ICT integration in the national curriculum will enhance equipping of citizens with relevant future skills. In regard to the recent developments in the education sector there is need to determine how ICTs are utilized in public institutions of learning
Justification for ICT policy in education and training
The ICT in Education training policy envisages the use of ICT as a universal tool in education, training, research and innovation for sustainable development
In-order to realize this there is need to integrate ICT in education and training for improved access, equity, quality, relevance in learning and management of education and training
To provide an all-inclusive sector policy framework to guide ICT in Education and Training
Objectives of the policy
The objectives of this policy are:
- Promote an enabling environment, mechanisms and priorities for ICT in education and training
- Enhance teaching, learning, training and research through ICT integration.
- Harmonize ICT integration programs between national and devolved levels of education system
- Promote a common shared understanding and synergy in ICT in education and training among all stakeholders
- Foster public- private partnerships and support of development partners in ICT in education and training
- Promote inclusivity in the implementation of ICT programs in special needs education
- Provide a framework for coordination of ICT initiatives in education and training.